I learned a lot of things this week, in many different areas of study, including math, observation, language, and literacy. First of all, I learned that one of the most rewarding things to a teacher is to feel what it is like when all of your hard work pays off, and you see your once timid students become blossoming, independent and creative learners. Teaching is a process, and an art, and I have learned that you get out of it exactly what you put into it. If you really take the time to nurture and and care for your students, you not only get amazing results and growth, but you help build relationships and relationship building social skills for the future. Its something that is richly rewarding and very, very satisfying. Next, I learned that math is a very interesting and difficult subject to teach to elementary school students. The courage for math concepts is just starting to creep out of the concrete and venture into considering the abstract. I helped to teach the concept of rates this week, which resulted in me taking on a small group to do classwork with, and found that it is a rather challenging idea due to the complexity which it sprouts from. Rates come from scientific and mathematical experimentation, meaning that it doesn't require simply counting left or right on a number line, it's based off of actual experimentation and is calculated by performing specific functions using the data (using a formula). Its very hard to teach math, I feel, because as a high school student, I have already acquired many of the necessary skills and more advanced ones, so it becomes more difficult to explain concepts on a basic level. Also, I learned that reading allowed really improves literacy and boosts confidence. I found that when I read with the 1st graders, they understood words better and were far more comfortable with errors when reading to me. They feel comfortable making mistakes knowing that there is a kind and loving safety net waiting to catch them! I also learned a little fact about that particular age group from Mrs. Shedd. I learned that they like pressure (like a medium weighted backpack, or a bear hug), and that its comforting because they feel grounded. Lastly, I learned that elementary school students are extremely malleable at this point in their lives, and thus are perfect candidates for learning another language. My 1st and 4th graders soaked up French like a sponge, and used it in their everyday interactions with me and friends (as I often overheard). In the quest for knowledge, this was a very successful week for me!
I loved everything about this week, from the literacy, to the math, to the observations, and especially the field trip. I felt like I gained so much knowledge and experience from simply interacting and observing my lovely companions; such different age groups provide the perfect amount of contrasting habits and teaching necessities. I think i most enjoyed the satisfaction that I got from having my 4th and 1st graders perform our French poem in front of the cafeteria, which exceeded my expectations! I thoroughly enjoyed how everyone worked so hard to memorize the poem, and to be sensitive and caring about how important this whole project was to me. Every single student was helpful, positive, and eager for me to teach them, and even eager for me to do well on my "own project" as they called it. This week was an absolute blast!
I can safely say that I participated in the field trip to Montshire Museum of Science for two specific reasons: to conclude my three weeks with a bang, and to see education outside the classroom and the preparation and skills it takes to coordinate and pull off a fantastic field trip. I tended to the needs of two special young gentlemen on this particular outing, and had a ton of fun watching them grow and mature as young men through each of their brave and new experiences. I also witnessed Mrs. Shedd do her magic and create miracles through her love for her students, enthusiasm for learning, and her determination to make the trip a wonderful and memorable experience for all. I was in complete awe and admiration for Mrs. Shedd, for she radiates the qualities of a true teacher and sets a very high standard for teachers everywhere.
Again, I came into this week very open minded, so nothing went off beat or happened not how I would have liked it. Though i wasn't exactly prepared to be hit with a water balloon, I learned to ALWAYS be prepared for the unknown when it comes to playing outside on a hot, springy afternoon. And one of the greatest lessons I have learned from working at DES ties directly into my open expectations: I learned that it is best not to try to corral in your students, but to simply shepperd them along and go with the flow, make changes, and to not be afraid of the unknown (or an attack of the giggles).
Everything that I learned this week has been and will be very beneficial to me. Knowing about children allows you to have insight into all different aspects of life, as children are the most creative and accepting creatures on this planet, such as the work place, career options, social situations and interactions, and men (: Also, when you deal with children, you learn about yourself , where your personal thresholds (or where the "line" is), your own patience, how rewarding making a difference makes you feel, and how poised and graced you are. But overall, I feel very strongly that teaching may possibly be a career path for me, as I have loved every single minute spent at Danbury Elementary School helping others to find who they are and to relish education, a real gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment